'Tall Tales and Wee Stories' by Billy Connolly

I've always had a soft spot for Billy Connolly. I can't imagine my Nan ever watched him perform, but as she used to tut at James Bond films, I can only imagine she would have thoroughly disapproved. And that kind of adds to the fun.
          This book is similar. If you want an orderly progression, a narrative arc and a tight structure, it's not for you. If you are squeamish about bodily functions or discussing sex, this book is not for you. And as Billy succinctly puts it, 'if you are likely to be offended by the swearing, you may as well fuck off now'.
         Yet this book is like the man himself: funny. It's a long time since I found myself laughing out loud whilst reading, and I know it's extremely annoying to those around you, who cannot possibly share the joke, but I couldn't help it, I laughed and laughed. This book carries Billy's voice, and it is like having a private conversation with the man.
          If you are familiar with Billy's stand up routines over the years, there is much in this book that you'll recognise, but his tall tales and wee stories are just as funny the second, third or even fourth time around as they were the first time you heard them. I particularly like the pre-flight safety advice. I've never actually heard them announce 'in the highly unlikely event of loss of power on all four engines, then, in all probability, we'll be going towards the ground like a fucking dart', but it does have the ring of truth about it. I particularly like his pronouncement on wearing the life jacket provided, on the way down. 'This will do you no good at all, but when archaeologists find you in two hundred years time, they'll think there was a river here'.
          Like an actual comedy performance, the more you hear, the funnier it becomes, until you find yourself continually erupting into spontaneous laughter.
         So would I recommend this book? Of course I would....unless you don't like Billy Connolly's brand of humour, in which case, why the fuck are you reading it?

Verdict: read

Comments

Popular Posts